Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Local - 07/08/13
Mon July 8, 2013
Mayor Bill Saffo Files for Reelection
On Friday, Bill Saffo filed to run for his fourth term as Mayor of the City of Wilmington. The incumbent, who has led the city since 2006, is talking about seeing projects -- such as the Cape Fear Skyway Bridge, the convention center hotel construction and the cross-city trail -- through to completion.
A crowd of supporters cheered Saffo on as he stressed the importance of keeping the film industry strong in Wilmington. Saffo says he’s working to create 400 new jobs in the City, in part to accommodate a swelling Wilmington population. And, he says, collaborating with New Hanover County Commissioners and state legislators will support further economic development. As of early Friday afternoon, the Wilmington native was running uncontested, but the candidate filing period runs until July 19. If elected on November 5, Saffo will embark on his fourth two-year term as the Mayor of Wilmington.