Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Midday Interviews / Wilmington Theater Awards
Thu January 26, 2012
First Annual Wilmington Theater Awards Debuts Thursday Night at Thalian Hall
The first annual Wilmington Theater Awards will honor its brightest stars tonight at Thalian Hall in downtown Wilmington. Modeled after the Tony Awards (sans paparazzi and red carpet fashion analysis), this awards show boasts impressive musical numbers, pokes fun at members of the theater community, and stars local luminaries as presenters (hint: Tony Award-winning Actress Linda Lavin and Mayor Bill Saffo, to name a few).
John Staton, Features Editor of the Star News, and Donn Ansell, organizer and producer of the awards show, sat down with Rachel Lewis Hilburn in the WHQR studios Thursday, January 26th to announce some of the winners, examine the nominating process, and dispel some misguided notions about the show.
During our Classical block on Tuesdays through Fridays at 12:06, Jemila Ericson and other staff members host a celebration of the arts and culture of the Lower Cape Fear. They interview artists, actors, dancers, writers and creators of community events--all the inspiring movers and shakers who enrich our lives.