Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
June 10-12, 7:30 PM @ Thalian
Thu May 30, 2013
2001: A Space Odyssey
Experience Thalian’s new projection and sound system with a restored version of this mind-bending sci-fi symphony. Stanley Kubrick's landmark 1968 epic pushed the limits of narrative and special effects toward a meditation on technology and humanity. Based on Arthur C. Clarke's story The Sentinel, Kubrick and Clarke's four-part screenplay centers on astronauts David Bowman (Keir Dullea) and Frank Poole (Gary Lockwood) on their mission to discover the origin of a mysterious space monolith. Their only company on the voyage are the three other hibernating astronauts and the vocal HAL 9000 computer running the entire ship. When the all-too-human HAL malfunctions, Bowman is forced to defend himself the only way he can. (Rated G. 2 hrs, 19 mins)