UPDATE: Homemade Holiday Shorts 2013 Story Contest Winner Announced
**UPDATE: This year's winner is Mebane Boyd. Congrats, Mebane! Tune in to Homemade Holiday Shorts to hear her story. We'll share some Honorable Mention tales on the web, too!**
Every year, WHQR produces Homemade Holiday Shorts, a fun-filled hour of music and storytelling where local entertainers celebrate wintertime traditions. Guests have included Clyde Edgerton, Nan Graham, Madafo Lloyd Wilson, Karen Bender, Tony Rivenbark, Carl Kassel, Linda Lavin, and many more.
For the first time, WHQR invites listeners and community members to submit their own tales of holiday fun and fond memories. The winning entry will be read by a WHQR commentator live on the air on December 15th, 2013.
Entrants may submit one short story or personal essay by midnight on Friday, November 1st, 2013. The Homemade Holiday Shorts production staff will select the winning entry, to be announced on November 15th. The winning author will be invited to attend the event as a special guest, and receive a recording of the Homemade Holiday Shorts program featuring his or her work.
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
- This contest is free.
- Anyone other than WHQR employees may submit a story.
- Entry must be an original work of prose between 1,000 and 1,500 words. No previously published work will be accepted (self-publication on a personal website is OK).
- Send as a Microsoft word (.doc or .docx) attachment via email to email@example.com by 11:59pm on Friday, November 1st, 2013.
- Entry must relate to winter holiday theme (Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, winter solstice, etc.) and be suitable for FCC-compliant radio broadcast.
- Formatting instructions: 12 point font, double spaced, 1-inch margins. Include name, contact phone number, address, and email on first page.
- Homemade Holiday Shorts production staff reserves the right to edit content for broadcast and is not obligated to select a winner if no suitable manuscripts are submitted.
- Winning author must sign a release form granting WHQR non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to the text, and exclusive rights to the audio recording.
Homemade Holiday Shorts will begin at 6pm on Sunday, December 15th. The reception follows at 7pm. Doors open at 5:20pm and guests must be seated by 5:50pm. The event is broadcast live on WHQR 91.3fm at 6pm. The MC Erny Gallery at WHQR is located on the third floor of 254 N. Front Street in downtown Wilmington.
Questions? Email Michelle Crouch at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the station at (910) 343-1640.